Thursday, July 15, 2010

I feel like talking, I just don't have anything important to say

I DESPERATELY wish that I lived in a small town today.  This partly stems from my distorted memory of my childhood, and the fact that most of my memories are of when i was much older than Benjamin.  But this is my reasoning.  I want to know my neighbors.  I want to run into one or two families that I know while I walk down the street.  I dont want to have to have purpose when I  call someone, I want to just run into them on the sidewalk and have worthless conversation, or sit on the porch drinking iced tea, and be able to invite someone over because I see them drive by.

I know, I know.  I'm looking for Mayberry life, in a 2010 paced world.  And truth be told, if life was truly that slow with not much more to do than go to the soda shop, I might be wishing for New York.  But, I am getting fidgety.  I LOVE staying home with Benjamin, and I'm not even close to wishing for a career or crazy night life.  I think I just need to be more flexible.  I need to go to Target with not more of a purpose than looking whats in the $1 isle and to get out of the house.  I want to have less planned play dates, where I don't feel the need to clean, but just see people.  I need to be a better friend.  I am partly feeling this way because when you are the mother of a toddler, good friendships take a very different form of any other stage in life.  My good friend declared her need for "low maintenance friendships" at this stage in life.  And as much as I applaud her accurate description of what I'm looking for in life, I guess I need TO BE a low maintenance friend.  (This is a little tricky, since I've never been "low maintenance" ANYTHING.)

I guess it all boils down to, loving the flexibility of summer, but missing the connection with adults.  nothing too traumatic.  :)

Well, that is my two cents for the day.  (It might only be worth once cent.)

On a much different note, I get to see my baby tomorrow.  "Littler" is moving like CRAZY and we have an ultra sound Friday morning at 9:30.  I'm excited to see the babe, and find out all the stats.  I truly have no idea if we will find out the gender.  Joel has pretty much left it up to me, and I think both options are great.  If I had to guess, we won't find out.  The fact that I lean towards not finding out, so often, makes me nervous that if I do find out, I will regret it the next day.  But I dont know.  Its also hard for me to see myself staring Lori (the ultrasound tech) in the eyes, and saying that I dont want to know available information about my baby.  After typing that, I think "Oh yeah, we'll find out"  So as you can see...I'm having commitment issues.  Either way, I think it will be a pretty great day!

Benjamin is super.  He had 8 teeth at the end of June, and now his mouth is working on ALL the rest.  literally.  you can see just the tops of most, and there is a couple just barely covered.  He has a low grade fever and a super drippy nose as a result.  This makes sleeping NOT FUN!  But I can't get upset with him when he's just not feeling good, and he's really quite a happy camper considering!

I think I'm done rambling.  It wasn't anything worth calling someone about, just enough to make me feel like talking :) (and to someone over 14 months :) )

Happy Thursday!

No comments: