Tuesday, July 19, 2011

8 months

Well at the end of the week, Violet turns 8 months.  8 Sounds like big number.  I was anticipating my depressed state at these large number milestones, and I admit that I don't like the idea of her getting too old, but what I forgot was how much I LOVE parenting the next 6-12 months of life.  She's discovering new things daily, and sometimes hourly, and from what I remember of Benjamin, discoveries keep coming at that speed till she's about 18 months.  I'm smiling in anticipation just thinking about it!

As for Violets current life skills...

  • pretending to drink from a sippy cup
  • rolling, sitting, and crawling forward
  • saying "bababa" in a talking tone
  • picking up and eating "puffs"
  • grabbing EVERYTHING, mostly glasses
  • deep belly laughs!
Violets sleep isn't going great.  I really just want to hire a super nanny to come figure her out, and then let me take it from there.  I'm not joking.  But since that won't happen, we'll keep trying.  What's the problem you ask?  She doesn't nap long (or at all) in the mornings.  She gets pretty ticked if I try to put her down too early, and has a super hard time trying to fall asleep when she's over tired.  She won't "let me" rock her, without nursing her, but should I continue to do that, no one else has a chance to get her to sleep because she won't take a bottle.  She occasionally is ok being bounced to sleep, but only about 30 % of the time, and then, usually only with Joel.  And as far as "crying it out" I have tried the method a couple times, for a few days each time, and she will do great once, and then cry as long as we let her the next time.  So my current attack plan is to attempt to get her to fall asleep on her own in the first 10 minutes, and then just pat her back till she is out.  I have to bend over in the pack n play to reach her, as we haven't done the bed switch yet, and my legs fall asleep fast!  Its crazy times over here, in our closet - where she still sleeps!  (yes mom, we tried the basement but its too cold, and i'm not running the heater in July!)  But as much as I have written about Violets lack of sleep, she's really oddly happy.  Most of my frustration comes from wanting "me time" which doesn't happen when babies eyes are open!  She is getting a little fussier so I know we do need to tackle the issue, but thankfully I don't have a bear on my hands...yet!

On a positive note, her and her brother LOVE each so very much.  Its so much fun to see them interact!  She also is playing so much and finding toys oh so interesting!  She has the best expressive eyebrows and when you combine that with her smile, she's TROUBLE! (and yes, thats probably why she's whooping us in the sleep department...)

I hope that time slows down just a little bit, but I'm looking forward to the next few months!  Hope you all have a great July.  Stay cool!








No comments: