Thursday, December 18, 2014

Maternal Fetal Medicine Follow Up

I almost entitled this post: "The moment we've all been waiting for"., but then realized that although many of you are curious it MAY not have been quite as anticipated by the rest of the world quite as much as me.  Honestly other than our wedding, I don't remember being this antsy for a day to finally get here!  But it came, and it was good!

We had two appointments today, and the first was just a formality to do a urine sample, measurement and cover any questions with my OB office.  It seemed like a waste of time, knowing that we would see mister man on the scan just two hours later!

The whole family got to attend todays appointments and the kids did great!  It was a lot of waiting room sitting, but thankfully there were not crowds at either office, and Benjamin and Violet are easily amused!

Finally we got to the second appointment.  The Ultrasound Tech was very thorough and patient, even taking extra time to help the kids understand the scan!  Baby boy was is getting fuller cheeks and looked more like "one of my babies", than the little alien we saw at 20 weeks.  See?!

Here is the comparison of 21 weeks vs 25 weeks.  He looks like a little man!

I think he looks like Joel!  And I can't wait for 15 more weeks to get those cheeks chubbier :)

Back to the appointment facts...
Well, the wound area is still there, but MUCH MUCH smaller.  Thank you God!  They were very encouraged, and judging by my 6 weeks of non activity and Mister Man's continuous fist pumps, even if I went on bed rest,  the wound may never completely heal.  It could just remain a "bruised area" until post delivery.  Finding out that He is growing perfectly, and the wound area is smaller was amazing news and my two large questions that I have been waiting and waiting to ask were
#1 - What does my activity level look like now?
and
#2 - Am I still at risk for preterm labor?

Answer #1: I can be more active.  No jumping, heavy lifting, strenuous exercise, scrunching etc... but the rules are much looser.  I can go on walks, go shopping, make a bed...cook!  Because my body/the wound area is pretty vocal when it has done too much, than the rules become, don't do anything BIG, and stop whenever I feel pain, contractions or should I bleed.  We can schedule another ultrasound mid third semester, but its really only necessary should I bleed, contract or feel uneasy.  It was amazing news, and left us feeling so so very thankful!

Answer #2: I still have a higher risk of preterm labor.  The wound is still there, and because of all that has occurred, I'm not jumping right back into "normal" pregnant lady status.  There are no immediate fears, but its important to continue to be aware, and cautious and keep this nugget cooking.  At 1 lb 12 oz, He's not quite fat enough make an appearance, and we don't want to stress my uterus out and make it antsy!

So...THANK YOU.  Thank you for the unbelievable help, the constant prayers, the encouraging words, and Love you have shown our whole family.  Words cannot express how thankful I am for community, supportive family and great friends.

Feel free to check on me every once in a while and yell at me if you see me breaking a sweat or catch me following the urge to purge, clean and pack up! ( nesting + christmas season + pre move + lessoned restraining orders is proving to be dangerous!  Even in the last 9 hours!)

I hope you have a very merry Christmas season, and can't wait for more posts showing you our fun last 15 weeks of pregnancy and less alarming cries for help!

Love to you all!



No comments: