Thursday, April 16, 2015

Silas Part Three


Silas arrived without much fanfare Tuesday the 24th. Little pain. Few Contractions. No real complications. And he might have been the easiest baby of all times had it not been for his first few hours of crying (excess mucus) and first 24 hour nursing boycott.  He made it quite apparent that he loved to sleep which made conscious activities such as nursing quite difficult. Even when he was a wake he would open his mouth with no interest in sucking.  SO SO THANKFUL that he is my third baby and that I was able to slightly tune out nurses nervous questions and comments when I would let him sleep 4 hours straight, or when they would panic that my nursing log only had "attempts" and not successes.  God gave me a priceless gift of a calm spirit and I think it helped Silas be able to stay calm too.  The second day in the hospital I made sure to get in contact with the lactation consultant and she was AMAZING.  My lactation nurses with Benjamin hadn't been that great, and with Violet I can't remember...But this sweet lady was heaven sent. She focused on encouragement and acted as if I was the only one in the hospital. I remember very little advice she gave me, however the feeling of being fully capable and more than competent at my task of feeding lil Bear was worth more than Gold.  We had two great feedings before we left the hospital (much less than the doctors would have liked, but more than I've ever had with either Benjamin or Violet).  

Silas first night at the hospital is a fuzzy memory, but I remember asking the nurse to take him to the nursery in the middle of the night. He was so sad, and I was so tired and afraid I was going to drop him.  Sadly she brought him back after an hour and told me he wasn't happy there either (I was kind of bitter at the nurse), and in desperation to close my eyes, I tucked Silas in bed with me and got a few hours of sleep! I think most of the mucus had cleared by the second night and we all got much more sleep.  

On the last morning (Thursday) Joel had to go to class, and my amazing momma was home with Benjamin and Violet so Silas and I just slept and practiced nursing all morning.  It was a relaxed morning (before exhaustion set in) and Joel came back to bring us home around lunch time. We grabbed some gas for the car and coffee for our tired selves, and thats how we started the new chapter of life as a family with 5 heads under our roof.





No comments: