Monday, August 17, 2020

just keep scrolling...


pictured above: our first "slow start" school day. We practice school for a few weeks before Labor Day when we will officially start. I am a firm believer that I can't teach my kids anything unless they can follow instructions so today we began getting in the routine of getting up and having a schedule for the morning. It's a way to knock out the kinks without pressure!

Where to (re-)start? 

I think its hilarious that I am writing a blog post right now. Do you know those recipes off Pinterest that hide the recipe? You click and it connects you to a cute blog and you scroll and scroll and scroll and Miss Cinnamon Roll Maker just goes on and on about her grandmas cinnamon rolls and her handed down cast iron pan and her kids who help keep the tradition going and how many times they messed it up before they remembered the secret ingredient, and how her husband grew up with a different idea about said rolls, and how they decorated for Christmas last year. Are you bored yet? Me too. Just give me the dang recipe.

As you can see, I don't read for fun. I have a mission and I want to conquer it as quickly as possible and I don't want fluff. Now if my mission is to know you, be friends with you or help you process your grandma's passing, than come sit down and let me pour you some coffee while we talk for hours. But don't trick me into reading. K?

Having said that, I love to write. I did not say I was good at writing but for some reason my brain has been wired to say nothing worth knowing when I talk. However when I write, I can process and pause and contemplate and create. It is therapeutic and life-giving for me. And in a mid/post/lingering pandemic world of riots and land hurricanes and elections and economic confusion, we all could use a little therapy.

I would agree (with my imaginary naysayer) that I have little to share or give to readers except that the amount of homeschooling questions from many friends in many situations is mind-boggling. And if you remember paragraph three I don't speak well, so to answer questions succinctly or with any chance of quality information I have to think about it for a couple days and then write you a letter.  And rather than suggesting that, I usually babble non coherent nonsense and either make this homeschool job sound way too complicated and confusing.

So, here it is. My letter. Here are some things that have worked for us as we enter into our 8ish year of schooling, some things that haven't, good advice that I probably got from my sister, and a good dose of humility from my journey at home.

Some of this wont apply to you because you work full time from home, have a husband on shift work, a different number of kids, you have a different personality than me, or kids with different learning needs. And thats ok. You may find some nugget encouraging or humorous, and if not I implore you to do as I do with the recipes and just keep scrolling.

But to others on this school road this year, who don't have an older sister to copy or just need some pictures with a referral, Im happy to be life long learning together.

 - Victoria

(ps: I should warn you that you wont find a recipe to the perfect homeschool set up, or curriculum anywhere around this blog, or the whole internet for that matter. Some days and years go better than others, and some advice is better than others, but when you're ok with a little trouble shooting along the way, you'll be just fine)




No comments: