Friday, January 28, 2011

Benjamin Edward 20 weeks


Benjamin is so much fun.  Seriously.  I really really love him. so. so. much.

Where to begin!  He LOVES the alphabet.  The first few weeks of being a big brother, provided Benjamin with a little extra t.v. time, and we fell in love with IPTV's Super Why.  Add that show to the great alphabet puzzle Grandpa Earp got him for christmas, and Dr. Seusses ABC's book (a favorite since birth) and we now have all of our ABC's memorized.  I point and Benjamin identifies, or I ask him where the letter is, and he can find it.  However, he doesn't know the song.  Not even the tune.  

Benjamin loves his trucks also, not as much as his books, but they are a close second.  His blocks are a close third.  He reads to himself quite a bit, but still loves when I have time to sit and read with him, and its even better if daddy does!

Benjamin's vocabulary has shot up exponentially since the last blog about him.  He thinks he's pretty big stuff when he says phrases like momma and daddy : "O.K!" and "There it is!" are some favorites.  An instant pick me up, is looking down and seeing Benjamin reading to himself and hearing words that are actually on the page.  He's memorized almost as many books as I have!  He most often reads Go Dog Go to himself and we hear, "Go OG Go!"(Go DogGo)  "Wok"(work) "Pay" (play) "Round gan" (Around again) "at gbye gbye" (hat goodbye), "TOP! (Stop!), "tee!tee!" (tree) and many others.  He's started to repeat Joel and I quite a bit more, so we're becoming much more conscience of what we say.  Its scary!  As exciting as it is for Benjamins vocab to be developing it is so frustrating for the both of us when he is trying so very hard to tell me something, and I can't understand.  Usually it results in whining/sobbing on his part and I don't know how to act.  He usually gets in trouble for whining, but in this case, I would be frustrated too!

Speaking of getting in trouble...Benjamin is pushing the envelope when it comes to doing things that he's aware of as "no no's".  Take for instance the remote or my cell phone.  Once he makes eye contact and knows that I see him with them, he brings them to me, but I can't get him to not touch them in the first place.  Little Stinker!

Another mini battle is his love for the T.V. and D.V.D (both of which he says soo adorably with his french accent at the end).  If momma says no to the t.v. being on, let the flood waters begin.  Crocodile tears begin dropping from his cheeks.  Or if I say he can watch them, and then a channel that he doesn't like, or a stupid afternoon IPTV show is on, let the water works begin!  So far once I explain that he needs to be patient and get him to take a deep breath, we seem to recover o.k., but pretty soon he's going to have to prevent the break down in the first place, or say good bye to George (Curious George) and The Cat in the Hat (one of his favorite phrases to say!)

Speaking of the Cat in the Hat, the theme song is the only song that I can identify when he sings without watching for actions.  He sits and mutters " Go Go Awaaaaay!"  Its adorable!

Today was the first day that Benjamin attempted to interact with Violet (besides laying beside her) without momma or daddy's help.  She was in her bouncy seat and the car seat was beside her.  We were getting ready to go to Wal-Mart, and he wanted to help pick her put and put her in the seat.  He only got as far as squatting and prematurely grunting which thankfully made me curious enough to turn around and see what was about to transpire.  What a "good" helper! :)

I can't believe that 2 years is right around the corner.  I'm probably going to cry a lot when that birthday comes.  For some reason its a big mile marker to me, and although 1 year was "not as much a baby anymore", 2 is "not at all a baby anymore" in my head.  3 more months!



No comments: