Thursday, March 4, 2010

Working on being a WIFE



Well, lately I have been thinking a lot about what I want my life to look like; more importantly what God wants my life to look like.  Many un-married friends and college students will ask me, "what am I supposed to look for in a husband?"  For many years I was quick to answer and then proceed with a pat on by back, but lately I've been saying, "time out, are you sure you have the qualities needed to get married?" which is then followed by the internal question of, am i 'marry-able'?'"  Well, not really because there is a ring on my finger, but 5 years into the game, am I who he would look for, and who he's excited to stay with?  That got me looking at who God says I should be.  He seems have some pretty good ideas...
  • Gen 2:20 - ...to be someone to help in the tasks that God has asked of my husband
  • Gen 2:24 - ...to be someone who is willing to abandon singleness and form a new unified being (2 becoming 1)
  • Gen 7:7 - ...to be someone willing to get on the boat, not buying into theories of others but having faith in my husbands decisions. (Noah's wife)
  • Proverbs 31:10 - ...to be trusted as someone who will add to the financial stability of the home (hard working, good budgeter, thrifty or however its needed in our specific situation)
  • Proverbs 31:13-15 - ...to not be lazy.  whether its working hard outside or inside the home
  • Proverbs 31:16 ...to be engaged in decision making and able to be trusted in those decisions
  • Proverbs 31:17...to not be a baby
  • Proverbs 31:18...to make the household a priority
  • Proverbs 31:20...to have compassion for others
  • Proverbs 31:26...to be someone who is respectable when i talk, because of wisdom and kindness
  • Proverbs 31:30...to be someone who may have charm and beauty (obviously, haha :), but the most noticeable characteristic being how I fear the Lord
  • 1 Thess 3 - ...to be someone who Abounds in Love for others
  • Timothy 2:9...to be modest and humble (forget the charm and beauty mentioned above :)
  • Timothy 2:11 &12...to be someone who is not seeking the final authority over my husband
  • Titus 2:3 - to be REVERENT, HONORABLE, DIGNIFIED, SENSIBLE, SPIRITUALLY HEALTHY, NOT SLANDEROUS, NOT A DRUNKARD, A TEACHER OF THAT WHICH PLEASES GOD, LOVE MY HUSBAND, LOVE CHILDREN, PURE, A HOMEMAKER, GOOD, AND OBEDIENT
  • James 4:11&12 -... to not be one who judges those around me
  • James 5:20 - ...to have good accountability partners in my life who are keeping me in check...Family, Friends, Women in the Church
  • 1 Peter 3:3-4 - ...to be someone who spends more time perfecting the inside than the outside, and one who speaks with my actions more than with words.
  • 2nd Corinthians 1:12 - ...to be someone who conducts themselves simply and in godly sincerity

Just some other thoughts...

  • to be quick to forgive
  • to be interesting (if we're spending all of earthy life together, it stinks to have a partner who bores you)
  • to be respectable (already said with some verses, but worth saying again)  I want to have words that are respectable, decisions, actions and the way that I carry out those actions to all be respected
  • to be lovable - whether its being fun, sweet, intellectual, funny, cuddly, ect: our "love languages" have to work with each other.  It should be pretty natural (after all, you do get to pick your partner) but at times when its not, i should be willing to work at it.
  • someone who makes you proud
  • someone who lifts you up more than they tear you down
  • to be respected by my (and your) friends
  • someone who is filled and finds confidence in Christ.  Otherwise I am constantly draining the other person
  • someone who shares future goals ( and will be trusting of the other to follow where they lead when plans change)
  • someone you would go to for advice
  • someone you want to raise your kids
After looking at all these characteristics...I'm spending a lot of time in Prayer!  I hope if anyone reads all of this your challenged to work at your weakness and encouraged that He'll give you strength to do it!

4 comments:

Ashlee said...

Thank you for this reminder. I feel like I need to tape these verses all over our house!

Ashlee said...

have you read lies women believe and the truth that sets them free? it opened my eyes to so many things i needed to change. it's such a good book.

me said...

ashlee, i started it but didn't finish it...i think i should open it up again...my mom is doing a study with it, and loves it...

sonshinymom said...

Amen! Thank you so much for sharing this! I needed to hear this today!

We did the boo mentioned above at our church in Iowa. I loved it!! It is a GREAT book!