Thursday, August 9, 2012

1 week down :)

Wow, we've been here over a week now and it's been a whirlwind!  I don't remember what I've told people, who I've talked to, what I've blogged about or really ANYTHING.  I'm tired, and excited, a little anxious, kinda claustrophobic, but mostly just tired.

Va Beach is pretty great.  We've been to the beach twice and might go again this afternoon.  The kids are in love with it.  They (mostly Benjamin) have been water chickens so far.  Big pools, Nana and Papa's pool, and sometimes even their little pool in the yard.  However give them a big ocean with waves double their height, and they run full steam ahead towards it, and laugh when the salt water hits them in the face.  It's fantastic...and scary :)

Thrift store finds are rocking our world.  If I had any kind of space to put stuff, or money to buy it with, I would be in heaven.  Since neither of those are true, its just nice to have them around when a need arises :)

Grocery stores are also rocking our world...very negatively. :(  We might become vegetarians.  Beef (and really most any meat) is SO EXPENSIVE!  The 3 grocery stores we've tried, have Ground Beef for $4.00/5.00 a lb.  I miss living by cows.  Even the tuna, hot dogs, chicken breast and pork I looked at are expensive.  I bought a chicken the other day and threw it in the crock pot to have chicken for a couple meals.  We/I needed a break from frozen pizza!  It's been kinda tricky to juggle un packing, needy babies, laundry, meals/clean up, etc,  but when things get into a routine around here, watch out Coupon Suzy - this momma is gonna give you competition! (and learn how to make Ramen healthy!)

We aren't fully settled, but really really close.  It's pretty difficult when you have lots of stuff, little square feet, virtually no storage and a phobia of clutter.  Joel has been my hero and dominated invisible TO DO LISTS like it was his job...He is seriously the only reason I haven't cried much in the transition.  It's starting to settle in how sad it is to leave so many people you love, but making the move with him and our 2 beautiful littles makes it not quite as tearful :)

Well that's enough chatter, here are the pictures promised to many. :)  The pictures don't do our cozy nest justice, but its the best I can do for right now :)

This is my vew out side my sliding doors. :)

This picture doesn't do my dining room justice.  I love it.  The shelves are wood Joel "borrowed" from his dad's garage, and the table was a thrift store find that Joel refinished.  (I know, you're jealous of both my shelves and table and husband!)  The guitar can't decide if it wants to be here, or back in the corner, and I can't find flowers for my happy little vase, but I'm trying to be patient :)

Here's half of my living room with more of Joel's handy work.  It also shows both doors - the one on the left goes to our building's hallway (four apts on bottom, and 4 on top) and the one on the right goes out to the porch and courtyard.

And here is the other half of my living room, that looks suspiciously like my last living room :)  It's still waiting for a beautiful family picture compilation above the couch.   

This is the trickiest space of all.  Mostly because I can't find much space, but we're learning how to make it work!  THANKS to my mom for getting through my "freak out" moment when I was trying to arrange it :)

The other half of the kitchen...

The whole thing :)




This is the littles sweet space.  This room was MUCH smaller than I imagined before moving so we've had to get creative, but they seem to like it.  Violet has done pretty well in her big girl bed, but doesn't like to fall asleep for momma.  It will be an adjustment when Daddy goes to school!  I see a battle a brew'n...



This is my "moving present" from God.  Seriously.  We've never had a head board/foot board, but we came across this pair at a thrift store, and God showed them to Joel and gave him the brilliance to construct the missing pieces, and Voila! If you weren't already jealous of my space, you probably are now.

Although God has richly blessed us, He's also kept us humble and we have yet to locate an affordable dresser.  So here's what we came up with...It's growing on me...really.... :)

And although some might think, oh, nice, you have a walk in closet, it is a transition process to reduce your closet to 1/3 of the size of your last one, and try to put at least 2x's the amount of stuff in it.  If Joel reads this he will be happy to know I plan on getting ride of about 1/2 of the decorations crammed in their right now.  NONE of the Christmas stuff, but MOST all of the other stuff :)


Well that's it for now!  I hate to leave on such a nasty picture of my closet, so instead I'll end with this sweet picture of Violet and a surprise gift from aunt Anna.  We love you all and miss you!

Don't judge my pants-less daughter, she just woke up from her nap :)




2 comments:

Tara said...

Looks great. Probably better than my decor and I have lived here for 4 years...

Amy said...

your apartment looks so cute and cozy... hope to come and visit you soon! miss you :)