Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Great Adventure: intro

July 31st. 7:17 am.  Violet Benjamin Momma Daddy Nanna Papa. 1 mini van. 1 Penske Moving Truck. A few car activities. & Lots of miles to be covered...

I could go into detail about the trip but I'm pretty tired and it was already 5 days ago...and lets face it, I don't have that great of a memory.  Overall it went great.  It went better than great actually.  The kids did phenomenal, my parents were of great help and helped us stay pretty low key and flexible, and there were very few hiccups to speak of.  Of course there were a couple, because every road trip needs something to make it memorable, but all in all, it was great.  But just to make sure I do remember the highlights, here are a few bullet points...


  • accidentally packing the kids DVD's, leaving them with only Robin Hood & Psalty.  Although Benjamin was petrified of Psalty when we began he eventually realized how limited his options were, and the blue song book didn't look so bad after hour 10! (3 times through RH and 2 times through Psalty...not bad for 24 hours :)
  • the point when we realized that even though my parents missed a turn, that would take them a ways off the original route, the original route would lead to construction and detours, putting us over 30 minutes behind them...this should actually be classified as the low light of the trip.  Did I mention that it was in the middle of Ohio back roads and Violet had a super stinky diaper, but we were so frustrated being behind that we didn't stop to change it till the detour was done!!!  Now that I type it, its actually kind of funny :)
  • Benjamin giving commentary on "Papa's truck going to slow!" and everything else that popped into his little head.
  • I went on and on about thinking I smelled a dog in the car, until half way through the trip, I realized it was my daughters feet/shoes. :)
  • ...so after our detour we pushed on and on and on to make up time, and drove a few hours past the kids bed time.  Well, Violet fell asleep 15 minutes after our much needed pizza dinner (it was an adorable pizza diner, THANK YOU PAPA!)  and Benjamin fell asleep about 15 minutes later, when we went over a set of bumps, and Violet woke up.  She then proceeded to doze in and out of sleep every 2 or 3 minutes for the next 2 1/2 hours...No lie.  It wasn't awful, because I didn't have high expectations to start out with, but it wasn't fun.  We then drove to our nights destination and looked for lodging.  The signs were unclear and after roaming around for a little bit (which wasn't easy for the yellow penske!) we ended up at a Comfort Inn (I think!?).  The last downer of the day was sitting in the parking lot, with my mom on the phone saying their was no way to park, seeing Joel paying for lodging at the desk, a trucker/smoking party all around our vehicle and Joel's phone laying beside me as I sat in exhaustion stressed about how to get to Joel and help my parents, and not have my children abducted...I tend to get dramatic when i'm tired :)  The night then ended with two babies that barely opened their eyes and slept soundly through the night, until we picked them up in the morning and headed out to the van.  Even that story had a happy ending :)
  • The last memorable part of the trip happened on day two when we stopped at a DQ for lunch.  As we headed back into the van, and got everyone buckled a bee flew in the van.  Joel calmly alarmed me of danger, and after swatting the bee out, it flew right back in and landed on my purse.  This happened a series of times, and finally the bee was out and we were on the road again.  The only problem here, was that my bag was not with us.  In the scurry of de-beeing the van it was abandon in DQ parking lot, where it was found and kept safe until Joel went back to get it 2 days later.  Leaving Tori in a new house, and a new state, with no phone.  It was a growing experience.  :)
Well that's all the details I can remember right now, but here are a few pictures for those of you who aren't on facebook (I went a little overboard with pictures on FB)!  Enjoy!





1 comment:

Unknown said...

So so funny. Some your bullets had me cryphing (crying laughing) in bed.