Wednesday, August 4, 2010

15 months and counting

Oh my goodness.  Life with Benjamin couldn't get much better right now.  I think that teeth are the only damper in that little bundle of love.  I want to record how great he is right now, so that when he's not in the "so great" stage, I have some pretty great memories to get me through!

Benjamin and I have gotten very relaxed with our schedule.  I don't regret the months that I worked to get him on a schedule, or the months that I stayed home due to him being on the schedule.  I think they gave him some structure and security, and gave me A LOT of structure and security.  However, now Benjamin can skip a morning nap and survive, or sleep 2 1/2 hrs in the morning and decide he doesn't need the afternoon one.  Unfortunately dirty diapers are what usually mess up our nap time.  Culprit #2 is when he gets his foot caught in the crib from his "pre-sleep gymnastics"  Benjamin usually plays for a while before or after he goes down.  Its not only super fun to listen to, but its a nice 20 minute (or longer) warning saying "Hey, I'm awake, so finish what you're doing so we can play!"

We are in the process of moving Benjamin's awake domain to the basement, but so far it has been the living room upstairs.  He has a corner where his blocks, and legos, and tucks are, along with the foot rest which has a plethora of other toys, but what Benjamin really loves are BOOKS!  He reads to himself quite a lot, but what he really loves is being read to.  He can't get enough of Sandra Boynton books, or Usborne "Thats not my..." series.  He loves flap books, and is usually pretty gentle, but if it starts to tear by accident, he can't help but finish it off.  He also loves Dr. Seuss's, One Fish Two Fish, and Hop on Pop, and sometimes ABC's.  I try to read all the Dr. Seuss books, but he just attempts to close it on  my fingers, and hands me one of these three.  I'm interested to see if Books continue to be our "go to" activity when Benjamin downstairs with a lot more room to run!

We still don't have a lot of words...or really any...Benjamin can say...
  • Uh Ohh - very sucessfully
  • Mmmmm - when he sees a cow
He can say Mmmaama, Dada, and Nana when prompted, but he doesn't usually call us by name until we play the repeating game.  He does sign three words very well, "More", "Eat" and "All Done".  I love this because it eliminates screaming at the table!  Benjamin jabbers constantly and sounds like he's actually saying phrases which makes for a fun game of making up his stories.  

I've been doing cloth diapers about 1/3 of the time when we are at home.  Joel got me a clothes line which I love to be able to put the diapers on.  The sun does wonders!  Its weird because I had stopped after my original tries because Benjamin was getting very bad rashes.  At the time I was using the recommended scent free ect. detergent.  Now, I just use Tide, and We are fine.  We have learned the lesson of not letting Benjamin sleep in JUST a cloth diaper.  Joel isn't a fan of cloth, so when I leave them I usually try to make sure he has disposable on...well last week I didn't, and Benjamin got put down for a nap with a velcro cloth.  When Joel went to get him up from his nap, he was stark naked with pee EVERYWHERE.  sorry daddy!

That pretty much sums up our life right now.  Benjamin loves to dance and make this insane face clenching his face to the point of shaking.  After he gets laughs from everyone he can't stop and repeats, and repeats and repeats (I dont know if our house can handle this many entertainers!)  

I CAN"T WAIT to get past this teething stage!  Thank goodness for oral gel!  Right now every tooth is visible they just haven't pushed all the way through yet.  It can't be much longer right?

We're looking forward to enjoying the next 4 months with the little man, before he has to share us!  Speaking of which, someones been calling from the bedroom for quite a while now...guess I better go!

No comments: