Saturday, August 14, 2010

Benjamin update again...



touchdown!

I know I have posted a million times this week, but SO MUCH is happening in life that I think I keep writing for two reasons.  #1 - its been a very stressful week, and writing helps me stay calm...so thank you blog!     #2 - I don't want to forget all of these milestones of my little man, and his baby book stopped at 12 months so...I blog!

Well today was the 6th day of being without a bottle.  Afternoon nap continues to be great and the last two nights have had fairly successful bedtimes.  Last night we didn't get home from my sisters till after 9, and Benjamin went down great.  Tonight I decided to just not try until 8:40...we walked into Benjamin's room and he didn't want me to hold him and just started crying, so we walked back out.  He hadn't really been crabby so I wasn't going to insist sleep.  At 9:00 we walked back in.  I held him and sang a couple songs, and then laid him down.  He was out!  I guess our bed time has been moved.  He's been sleeping in, so I'll adjust!

Benjamin has also added to his vocabulary and other skills.  He can...
  • sign - eat (fingers to mouth)
  • sign - more (finger tips together)
  • sign - all done (waving of the hands)
  • sign - please (he rubs his chest or tummy)
  • cow sound - zmzmzmzo (his cow sounds like a bug but is very consistent)
  • sheep sound - ba ba ba
  • puppy sound - high pitched(sometimes not so high) short squeal
  • elephant - siren squeal with a waving hand (thats my favorite)
  • snake - our newest and not consistent but occasional sssssssssss
  • locate consistently - eyes, hair, head and tongue
  • locate less consistently - ears, nose and toes
  • give great kisses (with a very open mouth)
  • give great hugs
  • DANCE! whenever he hears music
  • Shut doors whenever you say "shut please!" He thinks he's pretty cool.
  • SO BIG!
  • SO STRONG! (Another favorite)
These are most of Benjamin's positive accomplishments so far.  One of our more negative ones is our scream.  Sometimes he screams because he has been signing and I'm just not looking, but most of the time, he just screams to say ANYTHING.  It can be happy, angry, a request, you name it.  We want to kill this habit very soon.  It is maddening.

He also likes to stand on the couch and pull things off of the ledge under the kitchen opening.  He knows when I say "bottom" to drop to his knees and he's VERY good at sitting or laying down once I say "bottom". However, I'm not sure the point in which I start punishing for standing up in the first place.  I know he remembers he's not supposed to stand up there, because he looks at me the whole time he stands to see if I'm going to stop him.  I'm not worried about it, and we'll just see how the next week plays out.  Maybe he'll get told "bottom" enough to lose interest in standing (although I highly doubt it).

We lost our play room this week due to the flooding in Ames and our basement, so we're trying to find other creative ways to use our energy.  We always love walks and the swings at the park.  Last night Daddy got us to not be petrified of the slide!   I don't know how he did it, but we'll see how Benjamin feels this next week at the park.

It's so fun to watch Benjamin grow and figure out new things.   We realized that we really don't need an entertainment fund anymore because watching him and his crazy self is pretty much as good as any movie right now.  Hopefully that lasts for quite some time!







No comments: