Saturday, September 4, 2010

cloth booties!

http://www.cottonbabies.com/images/econobum/Econobum-Trim-Colors.jpg

Last winter I started thinking about cloth diapers, and finally took the plunge in February (I think) buying some Econobum diapers: 3 covers + 12 prefolds for $39.95...with a $15 rebate (parenting magazine code)
TOTAL $24.95

Benjamin developed a rash from the diapers and after trying three different weeks, special detergent, ect,  I gave up.  For some reason however, I told my sister that I would love to get diapers for Benjamin's birthday in April, and she got me one diaper and insert from Fuzzi buns and one Happy Heiny set.  I just kept using Tide like all my other laundry, and just used one diaper a day, and he wasn't getting rashes...I started mixing in my Econobums with the "wrong" detergent, and still no rashes! So all summer, I have used cloth on and off, with no problems and hopefully, some savings!

Well, the more we stay home, the more convenient cloth diapers are, and the more I like savings $.  With a new little miss on the way, I'm hoping to use cloth 75% of the time with her, vs the 25% of probably used it with Benjamin.  My sister asked me some questions about holiday gifts, and got me on the diaper search again...(we tend to bounce our "obsessions" back and forth...whether its Arbonne, Aveda, cloth diapers ect).

I started my search with one goal...to find affordable velcro diapers.  Well, a long story short, I went from thinking: Bumgenius sale to Gdiapers with a discount code to ending up coming back to Econobums...

Yes, I know, Econobums aren't velcro...but this is when I thought...duh! you can buy velcro at a fabric store and make your own!         

So this is what I ended up buying today:

1 x
Econobum: Trial Pack
1 Diaper Cover
3 Prefolds 

  - Trim Color: Ribbit



$11.95



1 x
Econobum: Trial Pack
1 Diaper Cover
3 Prefolds 

  - Trim Color: White



$11.95



1 x
SECONDS: bumGenius 3.0 One-Size Cloth Diapers
GRASSHOPPER 

  - Agree to Terms: Yes



$12.00



3 x
SECONDS: Econobum
(COVER ONLY) 

  - Agree to Terms: Yes



$14.85



Sub-Total:$50.75
Discount Coupons:BESTDEAL:-$2.54
Shipping and Handling (ECONOMY):$0.00
Total:$48.21

So after my two seperate purchases and gift from my sister I have
 11 covers, 18 prefolds, 3 inserts, and have only spent $73.16

So Benjamin and I are off to Joanns today to see how the heck I'm making my diapers meet the velcro qualification of the whole project!  

wish us luck!



        
Econobum cover features form fitting elsastic, waterproof shell, and adjustable waste snaps
Econobum prefold is easily adjustable

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Do you prefer velcro bc it's easier? I understand however, the snaps will last longer through many washes so that's nice:) I only have one with snaps but want to get a few more in the future.