Saturday, October 9, 2010

10-09-10

There are moments in your life that are so magically different than every other moment...when no matter how crazy life is, how uncertain the future is, how stressed your norm has become, or how tired you wake up...for that moment life is good, really really good - Life seems manageable, uncertain futures don't seem that scary, stress becomes a decision you won't chose and not a condition you're stuck with, and sleep seems optional.

I've had a few of those moments in my 26 years of life...

Although, I don't remember asking Jesus into my life specifically I remember one night looking out of our downstairs window, knowing that Jesus loved me and that I got to go to heaven.

I remember being in my Dad's truck when I was little with Dad, and my older sister, coming too or from Menards thinking how much I loved the smell of Menards, and how much I liked when Dad let us listen to country.

I also remember being on the porch with my Dad sometime in jr. high, I think.  My mom and sisters were away for the weekend and my Dad stayed at home with me for softball.  I don't remember anything significant about that night, but I think we were working on some project, and I was really really happy.

Another distinct memory was in college at a Bible Study we were having for high school students.  We were in the upstairs living room of the college presidents house (also a classmate and friends house) and I heard "this guy" answering a students question, and I thought...wow, thats the kind of guy I want to marry someday (It was Joel).  Then there was the time that Joel and I went on a walk in Dubuque and it started raining on us. It was soon raining very hard, and we ducked into this strangers garage.  I was very happy and very in love  :)
Thankfully I don't have a shortage of moments to think fondly of with Joel, but another highlight was on our 52  hr trip back home from our delayed honeymoon.  We had been flying for many hours, and then were to finish the trip off with a drive back from Texas.  Although I LOVED our cruise, and LOVED Portugal, the highlight of the whole trip for me was our insane trip back.  We were so sleep deprived, that everything was bound to be either extremely heightened or dulled at that point...and for me it was definitely the heightened.  We were so silly, and random and just happy - even after spending 14 days together!

Well tonight it was my little man who gave me a "moment".  I have been so overwhelmed with life the past two weeks, and this weekend was more "go, go go".  I did hair all morning for a good friends wedding and then came home, put Benjamin down for his nap, ate lunch, showered, got Benjamin ready, and left for the wedding.  It was at Riverside in Story City, and it was gorgeous.  I had been talking all day about not being able to wait to seen Benjamin "bust a move" at the dance.  Well, this momma didn't make it that long, and I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer.  After realizing that I was beginning to not pay attention to my son, and barely had enough energy to react when he choked on a piece of lettuce, I knew it was time to go! ( even without dancing)  So with my handsome 17 month old holding my right hand, we walked from the reception site, past the chapel and down the sidewalk to our van.  It was a decent walk, especially for those short little legs.  But Benjamin didn't struggle or run away; he just held my hand and marched - occasionally pointing out leaves, or responding to the geese' loud calls from the pond, but mostly in silence.  And it was then, even with life being crazy, Joel not being home, non pregnancy tights digging in, and the belt around my ribs becoming just a bit too light, life was perfect.  I didn't have a camera to take a physical picture, but I'm counting on my memory, and this post, to keep good record of the mental picture, of my little man in khaki shorts, white button down, and blue sweater vest, marching in the October leaves.

Thanks to my three favorite men for my favorite moments ever.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

this has got to be one of the sweetest blog posts i've read in a LONG time. it makes me happy reading how happy you are!