Tuesday, October 26, 2010

18 months

My baby will be 1 1/2 on Thursday.  oh my goodness.  There is so much I could say about him, but I will try to refrain from being "that mom".  Seriously, he's so super great though.  I'll start with a couple negatives, so you know I do acknowledge his faults...and then move on to the positives that make me feel so lucky!

Although it has DRASTICALLY improved since last week, Benjamin whipped out a reoccurring temper.  I was trying to analyze it, understand it, and come up with a combat plan, but it seems as though it might be on its way out with out understanding it completely or a real plan.  It happens quite randomly...if his blocks don't line up, if I take something away, if I go sit in the living room when he wanted me to plan in the kitchen...ect.  I am convinced that it is partly due to the fact that he talks CONSTANTLY, but very little of it is understood. It seems as though he's upset because he feels he communicated something, and we aren't on board.  The other more simple and possibly more frequent rationale is that he just wanted his way, and didn't get it.  On day #3 of this fun little habit, Joel and I were talking and felt he was watching too much t.v.  It gets left on sometimes without anyone really watching it, but we made a decision be more selective about when, and how long it was on.   I have no idea if that is related in any fashion, but the next day, there was a noticeable difference in his attitude.  Also, I'm trying to be very intentional about not having these outburst end in him achieving his goal...whatever that is.  Even if its not a bad goal, yelling can't be the route to get there!

This isn't really negative and hardly worth mentioning, but Benjamin has a little habit, about 50% of the time, of crying 5 or 10 minutes after we lay him down for bed, and I have a little habit of getting him rather quickly. We rock, usually in the living room, for 5 or 10 minutes, and when I put him back down, he goes right to sleep 95% of the time.  Joel thinks its related to him just not having as long to "mentally prepare" for bed some nights....Like he didn't see it coming.  That might be the case, but I also think its just if he doesn't fall asleep right away, he knows I'm a sucker and will come, and he gets more cuddle time.  He's a pretty great cuddler, so i'm not arguing!

Benjamin is so much BOY and loves to be wild...especially with Daddy.  He loves building with his blocks, and loves knocking them down even more.  He has started singing a lot, and has the best eye brows during his stories.  I have to figure out a way to keep the zipper from being accessible on his footie pajamas because he loves unzipping them.  He's still a pretty great eater, with the exception of vegetables, and when he stops eating before he should, I just hand him the fork, and he is tricked into eating the rest.  He loves going outside, and gets very sad if I put his shoes on, and then ask him to wait very long before opening the door.  He still loves books, reading to himself, and being read to.  He loves identifying objects...either asking "wsat" or having me name an object and waiting for him to point at it.

We have some more words.  YAY!

  • bebe (baby)- this is by far his cutest word.  He loves his baby (borrowed from Aunt Tara) and putting her in the infant carrier, or swing, hugging her, kissing her, or wrapping her in blankets.  
  • GO - I can't remember if I listed this last time...but he says it in reference to the show, "the Cat in the Hat knows a lot about that". (the theme song)  Sometimes he also says it about the Dr. Seuss book, "Go Dog Go"
  • at (hat) - sometimes about the cat in the hat, and sometimes about his own hat
  • eye - I don't remember if I listed this either, but he LOVEs identifying eyes...his eyes, my eyes, baby eyes...it doesn't matter whos!
  • HI! - it doesn't matter if I'm walking into the nursery in the morning, opening up the door from being gone at work, or just walking in the room after a few minutes.  There is now a exuberant "HI!" that welcomes me
Well, I feel very fortunate for how simple Benjamin is currently making parenthood.  I know I might not say that forever, but its such a fun stage, with so much excitement and discovery!  Now, if only we could keep the cold germs away all winter, life would be easy breezy!  Thanks for a great yr and a half mr. Benjamin.  

No comments: