Monday, August 1, 2011

Kawaii Diapers

I've been wanting to blog about these for a while, and since they have come up in conversation with several people the last week, I decided that the time is now!

(scroll down to the bottom if you just want the facts!)

I had better start off by saying that I always saw people CRAZY about Cloth diapering, and their obsession and Initialing of everything scared me away.  Well, I still refuse to go by initials, but i'm not so critical of their passion.  I have found a diaper that seems to be great for both Violet and I, and one of the best money saving decisions Joel and I have made in a long time (it's only comparison is the decision to shop at Aldi sometimes)  :)  So try to gloss over my passion, and just take a glance at the facts.  For someone who's budget is super tight, and who's day is filled with poo...It's pretty exciting!

My diapering story started with disposable.  Joel wasn't on board with cloth.  I then began to request diapers as gifts, and experiment with Benjamin.  I didn't find them to be as much work as I was expecting and soon bought Econobums.  They were cost effective but the short story is: #1) they snaped, and I hated snaps(personal) #2) they were a prefold (the insert sat on top of the cover) and because the moisture sat on my babies bottoms, they seemed to get rashes.  It wasn't a failure of an experiment, but a good learning experience,  I was able to find someone who could use them, and didn't loose any money (I had good coupons when I bought them).

My sister had gotten me BumGenius and Fuzzibuns as gifts, and although I loved them, they were too expensive.  I just couldn't make that big of an investment without Joel on board, and without knowing if I would keep up with it.  I'm a great started, and HORRIBLE finisher.

This is where my sister becomes the hero of the story.  She found Kawaii diapers at http://www.theluvyourbaby.com/.  Then she found the website: http://jackbenatural.com/.  I'm not sure which one I'm more in love with...the Kawaii diaper or jackbenatural.com.  Both are Amazing.  I have found the Kawaii diaper to be equivalent to the BumGenious line.  Same functionality and almost same appearance (I actually think the Kawaii's are a little slimmer/cuter).  theluvyourbaby.com website isn't super for ordering.  This is where jackbenatural.com comes into play.  As soon as they have stock, the diapers are super speedy.  Their emailing communication is extraordinary.  They have a rewards system for ordering, and deliver with special samples and gifts.  AHHH!  I love them.  Oh, and this is how I got Joel on board:
(ps, I feel these are very conservatives numbers for # of diapers a day, and price of diapers...)

3640 diapers 0-18 months
 * 12, 10, 8, & then 6, diapers per day
$ .16 per diaper
 * average cost of diaper(up & up target brand)
$582.4 on diapers by 18 months
 * + $151.2 by 2yrs = $733.6 ToTaL


So, from a money saving perspective...So far I have spent about $30 on Violets disposable diapers, and $95 on her cloth.  We are 8 months, and a 90% cloth user.  I bought the style that only goes up to 22 lbs soI will sell them, and re buy in a few months.  The great thing is that even If I only get half my money back when I sell them, my total disposable & cloth investment, would be $155.

Its totally different for all parents, but for us $155 vs $733 seemed like a pretty great deal!






4 comments:

Charity said...

We use Kawaii diapers too! I was so glad a friend from church told me about them :)

Erlene said...

I enjoyed reading your post about diapers! I have been looking around at different cloth diaper options to try. Please share more on this subject!

me said...

Sorry,I dont know that I have a lot more to say, Erlene. but if you have any questions you can let me know!

Rachel said...

Thanks for sharing about these. I'll keep them in mind for baby #2.