Saturday, February 20, 2010


...sigh...I am writing to share my last 30 hours of cloth diapering experiences.  Many of you will laugh at my naive state with which I jumped into the cloth world.  But I have always learned best by hands-on demonstration & experience.  I didn't make it to any of the locations in Des Moines to be taught, so I opted for the experience route...and this is info on my experiences thus far:

  • I purchased the Econobum diaper set (3 covers, 12 prefolds), and after a coupon and a rebate check, it will have cost me $25 -  a STEAL!
  • I do NOT regret it
  • I need someone to show me precisely how I am to fold them and use the MILLION snaps that they have (right now I am only using snaps to attach the sides, and i'm not sure if that is because Benjamin is big, or I'm not doing it right)
  • Benjamin is a HEAVY wetter.  He soaked through during his morning nap, and during his nap in the car...momma driving in a snow storm + Benjamin in a cloth diaper for over 2 hours = a story for the baby book!  Consequently we are no longer using them for naps, or car rides over 20 minutes.
  • My biggest fear - poo - has been eliminated.  I think wiping poo off a bottom has a larger gross factor than wiping it off a diaper...plus Benjamin's poos are firming up...
  • If I had a million dollars, or just $100, I would get diapers with velcro and inserts...Snaps are ok, but take a little extra time, and the pre-folds (which is a stupid name, because they dont come pre-folded) are hard to position correctly...the short way doesn't adequately cover Benjamins big booty and front, and the long way pops out the cover, which gets him wet all over when he tinkles.  So lazy me would like velcro for my wiggly little boy, and inserts for a not so bright momma.
  • I will continue to use them and they will be great for home use with mommy...and I will be saving TONS of money
  • Whenever #2 enters the picture, I will invest in more hearty, more expensive diapers for night time, naps, and maybe travel, and probably still use these for when we are home.  For now, I am currently happy being a part time disposable user, and part time cloth.  Everything in moderations, right?!
So there you have it.  I tried to be very honest about my findings for those of you researching and scared to take the plunge...My advise: stop starring at the water and get your feet wet!  Whether you get one nice $20 diaper, or a $50 econimic pack like me, you'll will not have wasted any many.  Disposables would have eaten that $20 up and sat in the trash.  So experiment for the time it takes to go through one pack of diapers, and even if you decide its not for you, I'm positive you won't be any poorer, and you'll have some great stories!


2 comments:

Rachel said...

Tori, for the insert that is super long, fold it into 3rds and put the thicker part towards the front of the diaper. Start with it like you have in the picture and then fold one of the ends toward the middle. Does that make sense? lol That might help with the leakage problem. You have may already tried this but I thought I would mention it just in case. For nap time, you will probably want to double up the inserts and use both. And as for the snaps, he is probably big enough that you will just want it all the way unsnapped (the snaps below the first full row). Hope that helps somewhat. Good luck!

R and C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.