Wednesday, February 3, 2010

goodbye JANUARY!


So much snow!  I am glad to see February, and cant wait to see May!  I hate dirty snow, so this is not my favorite time of year.

My baby is over 9 months old! Can you believe it?  This morning as Joel and I ate our cereal and watched last nights season premiere of LOST, I looked up and saw Benjamin sitting like a big boy on the couch chomping on his animal crackers, and I couldn't believe how old he looked.  The last 9 months have been so great, that sometimes the negative Tori gets nervous and thinks something bad has to be waiting around the corner, because it cant stay this great forever!  (Don't get me wrong.  There have been times that weren't super fun, and pretty frustrating, but overall I know I've been very fortunate.)

So Benjamin had his 9 month appointment.  He doesn't quite weight 23 lbs and is completely done with nursing.  (Nursing was one of those things that had some highs and way too many lows!  I can't wait to do that process differently with #2 someday.)  After playing with baby food for a few months and failing, we have went straight to soft table food, and have been EXTREMELY successful.  Benjamin loves strong flavor and texture.  We like sweet potatoes, carrots, kiwi, beets, chicken, pizza, guacamole, pears, peaches, veggie puffs, animal crackers,cottage cheese and more!  he usually has about 24 oz of formula a day, and although he can hold is bottle himself, he has not figured out his sippy cup!  Its driving me mad!  He army crawls everywhere and shuffles along the couch and foot rest.  he transitions between sitting and standing are not super graceful, but its only a matter of time.  He still loves books, and could play with his shadow for a long time.  Its adorable!  He is sleeping around 10 hrs at night and takes two 1 1/2 hr naps a day.  He loves clapping (with his hands and bare feet) and waving "Hi".  Joel and I sometimes think he's saying "HI", but it has yet to be confirmed. :)

We're working on getting some sign language taught.  Mostly the word, "more".  Right now, a wave is his sign for everything.  I'm thinking about buying a potty chair and just setting Benjamin on it after meals.  I've been hearing about kids from across the country who are potty trained very early due to the parent or care provider just placing them on the potty regularly.  I'm pretty naive about the process and might quit after a week, but I'm very intrigued and the idea of being out of diapers before he's two sounds pretty awesome.  I'm also needing to challenge myself to be patient and have him start to pick up his own toys.  Although he doesn't understand the concept completely, he's very capable.  I would love if picking up messes became a habit right away.  I don't handle clutter in the living room well. I just need to be patient while he SLOWLY puts things back!

We have been baby proofing the house, and the only "DANGER" area that remains a problem are the registers.  Benjamin loves to play with them and twice he's found them without me catching him and drawn blood.  He's such a curious little boy and I have a feeling that many painful discoveries are to come!  

Well, thats whats up with Benjamin!  Hope you have a fantastic February and feel so much love you dont know what to do with yourself.  Happy Valentines Day!

No comments: