Wednesday, February 24, 2010

library adventure

Benjamin and I had quite the weekend.  Joel was under the weather, and had a very full ministry weekend.  I had a feeling that Benjamin and I would be more of a hindrance than a help in getting him through the weekend, so we took off for Nana's house...Unfortunately we took off in the middle of a mild snow storm, and a trip that should have taken 1 hr and 15 min, took 2 hours and 30 minutes.  A third of the way through the trip Benjamin decided to wake up from his short nap, and  about 15 minutes later, he started whaling...a cry that I knew was a declaration of discomfort.  After about 20 minutes of his distress cries being shouted from the back seat, I pulled over at a rest area, and changed him from a sopping wet cloth diaper to a disposable.  Trauma #1 dominated!  After driving and driving and driving, we were finally 2 minutes away from nana and papas front steps.  Well, we would have been, if I hadn't slid and missed the turn.  I found a driveway about a mile away and pulled in to turn around...only after pulling in my car didn't want to pull back out.  I was stuck.  So about 15 minutes later my mom, dad and a nice man driving by, got me out.  My dad pushed my car(which has horrible tires) up to my parents steep hill, and we were finally safe in their cozy house.  I wish my story were done, but after a great weekend with Auburn, Colin, Nana and Papa, we headed back to ames.  Joel was to be arriving around 4, I thought, and we would get there earlier to get unpacked.  I got Benjamin out of his car seat, only to find the door locked.  Not a problem for most home owners...But for some reason, my key was not on my key chain.  Instead of just opening the garage door, I panicked. You see, my phone was dead.  So Benjamin and I loaded back up in the car, and headed off to the library.  Meanwhile, Joel got home early.  He was surprised to find us MIA, and after sometime of trying to calm his nerves, he set out to find us, hoping for the best and fearing for the worst.  He was calling 911, state troopers, asking my brother in law to search...ect.  Remember, I dont have my cell phone...Well, eventually Benjamin and I came back from the library, and found a note on the door to call Joel.  We all united, hugged and just sighed with relief the weekend would soon be over!
Here's some some of our great library finds!

No comments: