Saturday, February 27, 2010

Maryville MO

Joel and I have driven a lot of places together...but right now we sit in Maryville MO, and I, miss chatty Kathy, cannot find words to describe it.  First of all, it is in the very middle of NOWHERE.  Now, we have driven through NE, OK, TX, and IA, but never have we driven on such ridiculously windy roads for such an insane amount of time.  It starts getting sketchy about 10 miles before the border of IA and MO, and then its like driving a slightly windier trip between sully and pella for over an hour.  I got car sick for the first time! :(

Well, Maryville has about 15 thousand people, but I dont know where they hid them. I believe most of them are in the small university here.  That must also be there reason for the multiple hotels.  I'm sure the people here in Maryville are splendid, but I cannot think of a single reason other than visiting family that you would gander over to "these parts".  Other than a Nav conference :) which is why we are here.  I'm excited for tomorrow, when i actually join Joel in many of the sessions.  I'm going a little stir crazy here in the hotel, so thankfully the staff portion of the conference begins tomorrow, and child care is provided!

I stink at being a hotel mom.  It is currently two hours past Benjamin's nap time and I still hear him talking in his packnplay.  Last night, sleeping didn't go super smooth, and I was trying to give in, and let Benjamin just sleep with us.  Unfortunately he has an obsession with pillows, and kept getting so hyper and crazy that sleep wasn't possible.  This morning, he was so tired he fell asleep (after refusing to sleep in his packnplay) in my arms in about 1.5 minutes.  I didn't risk putting him down, so he slept on my chest in our bed.  This afternoon however, he wasn't interested in duplicating our lovely cuddle time.  I have tried duplicating our home routine, i've tried reading super long, juice in a bottle, letting him cry it out, setting him infront of cartoons...AHH! for about 45 minutes he has been playing with his Wild Animals book in his pack n play, and I'm hiding out underneath the sink, so he can't see me.  Its glorious.  

All that said, Benjamin has LOVED the pool and it has been so fun to watch him be so hesitant and interested and then giggling with all the splashes.  The water is super warm so mom loves it too!  I've enjoyed a little extra Benjamin time, where I'm not distracted by To Do lists!  However, every "rule" that I've established the last 9 months has completely gone out the window...nap times, germ issues, safety meausres, bed times, toy choices...Right now, we just do whatever works!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

That's the way of the "vacation." Every "rule" is out the window and you just try to adapt as best as possible. And that may mean hiding under the sink. ;) We had to hide from Asher when he was a baby and we were in a hotel. Funny stuff now, not so funny when everyone's exhausted. ;) Can't wait to have you back at home and I'm sure you can't wait to be there too!