Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Got Milk?

Nursing has most definitely been the most thought about part of this little girls life (by momma) before her arrival.  And considering she's only a week old, its probably been the most thought about part of her life, post arrival also.  It has most definitely had its ups and downs, but overall I'm giving it a huge UP!

My babies are born with recessed chins, whatever that means.  In the nursing world, it means they don't latch well.  In Violets case, she doesn't like to open up very wide, and when she does she clamps down very fast.   Combine that with the angle of her chin and it makes nursing a challenge, to say the least.

Benjamin had the same "issue".  As a first time mom, I freaked.  I panicked it wasn't working, and that he wasn't getting food.  I started the bottle too early, and I didn't select a good bottle/nipple for dual nursing and bottle feeding.  Oh, and I didn't pump frequently, or even regularly when I bottle fed.  Long story short, my supply never got built up, he became used to the faster flow of bottles, and it was an uphill battle from day one.

Back to Violet...I was determined that whatever the cost, she was going to get breast milk only for the first few months (health and cost), and we were going to make it work...And I'm happy to say, that I think that after a week, we're almost there!

Today was the first day I can say that I'm not wincing in pain when she attaches, and also the first day that she has eaten consistently on both sides, and for longer than 10 minutes.  My supply is out of control, and I think we may come out victorious!  The nurses were very helpful and the most helpful thing was actually in them agreeing with me that she is tricky to figure out, and not a very easy nurser.  Knowing that others see my struggle and that I wasn't "bad at it" gave me enough encouragement to keep going!  I cheated many times, and still don't do things "by the book", but its working great for us, and that is a huge blessing.

I don't think that nursing is the same for every mom, or even every baby, so who knows how it will go if there is a next time, but it will be nice to not need to carry around a sheild with me, or even formula or a bottle right now.  (not that we have really gone anywhere)  We'll see how I do eventually when I try to nurse in public, without wincing in pain, or unsuccessfully hiding under the cover.  I think I'll stay a hermit in my house just a little longer!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I had to use a shield with Viggo just for him to latch on. I thought it was going to be a breeze compared to Roman, but he was actually harder! go figure! So happy Violet's getting the hang of it! (and you, of course!)

Jessica said...

So glad to hear that it's going well. It's nice to be affirmed that you're not a terrible mother when things aren't going as smoothly as we think it should. Glad that you are feeling good about it and glad that God is giving you some good milk. Miss you lots!!